Castings being poured at Tayforth Foundry casting shop.

Maker
Robert Gibson
Production date
1978
Description
View of a group of foundry workers in the casting shop pouring molten iron from a ladle into mouldings. The ladle is suspended from a hook and pulley of a mobile roof crane controlled by one of the workers. One worker is wearing a visor.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
1978
Subject person
Subject notes
Tayforth Foundry was owned by R Taylor & Co Ltd, founded in 1920. Originally it produced marine, mining and general engineering castings. From 1939 to 1962 they produced Tayco boilers and in 1976 the company merged with Forth Alloys Ltd of Cumbernauld. In 1968 they became the first company in Scotland to use an electric furnace. As gas central heating ate into the market for solid fuel boilers the foundry concentrated on castings for the automotive industry.
Accession number
P04348

Colours


Share