Falkirk Town Council. Parks & Cemeteries Department records

Primary maker
Falkirk Town Council. Parks & Cemeteries Dept
Production date
1873-1966
Description
Interments registers, 1873-1903, 1912-1951; Registers of lairs, 1872-c1950; Register of sales, 1870-1951; Cash books, 1870-1925, 1940-1959; Miscellaneous, 1871-1966. (See also records of subsequent authorities)

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Local authorities were given authority to fund and operate cemeteries from 1855. Church graveyards were the responsibility of Heritors until in 1894 parish councils or town councils were allowed to accept responsibility for church graveyards from the Heritors. In 1925 all remaining Church of Scotland church graveyards were transferred into the care of the parish councils (which were replaced by district councils from 1930) or the town councils. Some cemeteries were run by Joint Committees of two or more local authorities. Responsibility for cemeteries and the crematorium transferred to Falkirk District Council in 1975
Level of current record
Sub-collection
Production date
1873-1966
Measurements
32 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of the whole collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.

You can also see catalogues of the items in this collection on our website.
http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/falkirk.aspx

and

http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/Cemeteries.pdf
Restriction
Access restriction
Restriction notes
Lair registers closed for 75 years under Data Protection Act
Accession number
A733

Share

Group record