John Peat Munn
Production date
Aug 1937
Text on negative envelope reads 'Eyemouth. From banks of River Eye looking towards the harbour'. View of the town from the banks of the River Eye. There is a railway wagon on the left and a church on the hill. Looking down towards the harbour is a footbridge and a Berwick-registered fishing boat sitting out of the water.
See full details

Object Detail

Production date
Aug 1937
Subject notes
Eyemouth has a good natural harbour, one of the few in Berwickshire, at the mouth of the River Eye. It is surrounded by rocks and cliffs. It was served by a branch from the main east coast rail line. By the 1850s Eyemouth was one of the leading white fish ports in Scotland. In 1881, while plans for a large new harbour were awaiting approval, a gale destroyed most of the fleet, but the town continued as a fishing port.
Accession number


Subject category