The Ballachulish ferry avoided the long road round Loch Leven via Kinlochleven. In 1906 the ferry was an open boat which could take one car straddled across it. By the early 1920s a motor-boat was used. In the summer long queues of vehicles formed, despite the introduction of larger ferries. A road bridge replaced the ferry in the 1975. The hotel on the south side dates from the 18th century.