Ferry, Ballachulish

Maker
John Peat Munn
Production date
Aug 1947
Description
Text on negative envelope reads 'Ballachulish. Loch Leven & ferry @ Loch Leven Hotel Grounds, north side'. There is a ferry in mid-crossing. The Ballachulish Hotel is on the south side.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Aug 1947
Subject place
Subject notes
The Ballachulish ferry avoided the long road round Loch Leven via Kinlochleven. In 1906 the ferry was an open boat which could take one car straddled across it. By the early 1920s a motor-boat was used. In the summer long queues of vehicles formed, despite the introduction of larger ferries. A road bridge replaced the ferry in the 1975. The hotel on the south side dates from the 18th century.
Accession number
P38813

Colours


Share