Bo'ness Old Parish Church records
Bo'ness Old Parish Church
Session minutes, 1694-1951, Congregational minutes, 1876-1901, Accounts & financial records, 1660-1953, Letter books, 1796-1896, Bible & Education Society minutes,1840-1863, Minutes & accounts of sitters in Trades Loft, 1708-1821, Minutes of Bo’ness Parochial Association, 1837-1843,Minutes of organ & psalmody improvement committee, Registers of banns for marriage, 1855-1900, Register of baptisms, marriages, burials and communion roll, 1907-1933, Communion Rolls, 1867-1930, Minutes & accounts of the Representatives of Bo’ness, 1671-1898, Pew rents, 1834-1878, Stent list, legal papers & accounts, year book,1938 plan of burial ground, surveys of gravestones of Bo’ness Parish Church
From an inventory of kirk session records in 1927, recorded in CH2/540/11 pp491-8, the gap in the Session minutes, 1860-1866 was caused by a fire at the manse, during the ministry of the Rev Kenneth McKenzie.
The old parish church in Corbiehall was erected in 1636-38 and alterations made in 1672, 1776 and 1820. The present church building on Panbrae Rd was built in 1885 .
The Representatives of the Burgh of Bo'ness were established as a result of the erection of Bo'ness Parish by Act of Parliament in 1649. The Representatives were required to raise a stent (or tax) of 800 merks annually to make up the stipend of the minister of Bo'ness Parish Church. (See T J Salmon "Borrowstounness and District" pp 275-304 for further details)
You can also see a catalogue of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/churches.aspx
Be the first to comment on this object record.