Kyle of Lochalsh, Lochalsh

Maker
John Peat Munn
Production date
Jun 1957
Description
Text on negative envelope reads 'Kyle of Lochalsh. Skye Ferry Boat "Lochalsh" leaving pier for Skye. Crossing over Kyelakin Sound to village of that name in Skye'. View of the car ferry 'Lochalsh' reversing out from the jetty with the Isle of Skye in the background. A crewman is by the turntable platform which has one van on it and passengers are at the stern. To the left is the bow of the MV Loch Seaforth, the steamer for Stornoway.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Jun 1957
Subject notes
The service was operated by the Caledonian Steam Packet Company. The company was owned by British Railways which also operated the Clyde steamers. The Skye ferry was very profitable. his 'Lochalsh' which was a four-car ferry was replaced by a six-car ferry of the same name a few years later. The capacity of the ferries was progressively increased until they were made redundant by the opening of the bridge in 1995.
Accession number
P40020

Colours


Subject category


Share