HMS Isle of Skye, formerly PS Isle of Skye and PS Madge Wildfire

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1917
Description
View of the paddle steamer tendering at Invergordon.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1917
Subject person
Subject place
Subject notes
Launched as Madge Wildfire in May 1886 at Ayr and engined by Hutson & Corbett at Kelvinhaugh, Glasgow. Operated by the CR 1891-1902, then the CSPCo. Sold in 1911 to Alexander William Cameron of Dumbarton then sold to Buchanan's in 1913 and re-named 'Isle of Skye'. Spent the war as HMS Isle of Skye, an Admiralty tender at Invergordon. Bought by Grangemouth and Forth Towing Company on 2 March 1927 for £1875. She was brought round the north of Scotland by Captain Leitch, arriving at Grangemouth on 10 March. Named changed to Fair Maid on 9 May and commenced cruising on Sunday 5 June 1927. Served for 13 seasons until 1939.. A new boiler and funnel were fitted in 1928 and a new bridge in 1934. She operated from Leith to Aberdour and Kirckcaldy, in the summer., and charters from Bo'ness, Grangemouth and Alloa. She wintered in Grangemouth harbour. Destinations from Grangemouth included Aberdour, Kirkcaldy, Alloa, Forth Bridge and in August 1928, South Queensferry. During WWII she was a tender (RN25) on the Clyde. (Source 'Clyde Steamers', No 24, Summer 1988)
Accession number
P34773

Colours


Share