Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Repairs records

Primary maker
Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd
Production date
1938-1958
Description
Repairs books, repair sketch and design book and yard repair book.

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Grangemouth Dockyard Company was established in 1885 by William Miller and Samuel Pophouse Jackson. The company started with a shipbuilding yard in Grangemouth and in 1888 acquired two yards in Alloa and Ardrossan. In 1900 a yard was acquired in Greenock and the company re-named the Grangemouth and Greenock Dockyard Co. In 1908 the company was incorporated as the Greenock and Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd. In 1918 the Greenock yard was sold to Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd and the company re-named the Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd. In 1967 it became part of the Swan Hunter Group and then became a British Shipbuilders subsidiary after nationalisation. It reverted to being a private company in 1984 and in 1987 it went into liquidation. From 1885-1972 the company built ships. In 1972 it stopped building ships and concentrated entirely on repairs.
Level of current record
Series
Production date
1938-1958
Measurements
25 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of a series of records within a collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection

You can also see a catalogue of the items in this collection on our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/docs/business/Shipmakers%2c_shipping_industry_and_marine_engines.pdf
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A56/S12

Share

Group record