J & A Towers horse and cart, Falkirk

Maker
Greig, Thomas
Production date
Circa 1905
Description
View of a two-wheel cart of heavy construction loaded with stone outside the Stenhouse lodge. A badge on the side reads J & A Towers, Grahamston, No 1.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Circa 1905
Subject person
Subject notes
The cart is hitched to a white horse which the carter is holding by its head collar. The shafts of the cart are harnessed by means of a chain over the saddle to take the weight of the shafts, and a second chain to the large leather halter for the forward effort. Carters took considerable pride in the appearance of their horse and its harness.

LAURIE & SONS BUILDERS, FALKIRK, ON STAFF.
Accession number
P18900

Colours


Share