Grangemouth Coal Co. records

Primary maker
Grangemouth Coal & Fireclay Co
Production date
1836-1912
Description
Abstracts of royalties, correspondence with James Russel concerning legal, financial and administrative matters, mineral leases, legal papers relating to complaints, actions and property matters, and papers concerning establishment of the pit, workmen's houses at Skinflats, erection of wharf, and establishment of railway.

Object Detail


Name/title notes
Grangemouth Coal Co was founded in 1839 with Grangemouth Colliery. The company extracted fireclay, ironstone and coal from mines in Bothkennar, Falkirk and Polmont, leased from the Earl of Zetland. By the mid-19th century the company was also operating Grangemouth Brickworks, making fireclay bricks and ornamental terracotta pottery and exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851.

The owners were the Mackay family of Grangemouth and partners included George Selby Mackay, George Gray Mackay and Andrew Mackay.
Level of current record
Sub-collection
Production date
1836-1912
Measurements
16 items
Archives finding aids
This catalogue entry provides a summary of a sub-collection of the Russel & Aitken Collection. Please use the search tools on the Collections Browser to look for information about individual items in this collection.

Catalogues for clients of Russel & Aitken are being added regularly to our website. http://www.falkirkcommunitytrust.org/heritage/archives/finding-aids/russel-aitken.aspx
Restriction
Open - no restriction on access
Accession number
A1844

Share

Group record