"Bainsford, Falkirk"

Maker
Valentine's Series
Production date
Circa 1897
Description
View of the bascule bridge over the Forth and Clyde Canal at Bainsford. Part of the gearing for raising the bridge can be seen on the right. Main Street can be seen beyond. To the right is the Red Lion Inn, and A Stevenson, Wine and Spirits Merchant, is the licensee.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Production date
Circa 1897
Subject person
Subject notes
Bascule bridges, (from the French for a see-saw), had counter-balancing weights at each end to make the raising of the two halves easier. Bainsford and Camelon bridges were replaced in 1905 with heavier swing bridges, to accommodate the new tramway.
Accession number
P20456

Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Share