Village and foreshore, Blackness

Maker
Unknown
Production date
Circa 1905
Description
View of the village of Blackness and the road to the castle. Walkers and cyclists are standing in the road chatting. Others are on the beach. In the background are the houses of Blackness.
See full details

Object Detail


Department
Maker
Production date
Circa 1905
Subject place
Subject notes
Blackness was the port of the royal burgh of Linlithgow and its castle defended the upper reaches of the Forth. The castle was used as a prison in the Napoleonic Wars and as a munitions store during the First World War. Many of the houses were holiday homes built for Falkirk businessmen.

Cycling was very popular by the end of the 19th century, providing personal transport for the masses and giving greater freedom, especially to women.
Accession number
P12444

Colours


Subject Auto Tags


Subject category


Share

Comments


Be the first to comment.