Stirling County Council. Eastern No 1 District Council

Biography
Eastern District No 1 covered the areas of Larbert, Airth and Bothkennar Parish Councils. The area therefore included Airth, Larbert, Stenhousemuir and Carron. District Councils were established following the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929. They were set up by the relevant County Council and although they were separate legal entities, the membership was made up of all the county councillors for the electoral divisions in the district along with a few separately elected members. They inherited many of the responsibilities of the parish councils which were abolished. They also undertook work as agents for the County Council and were involved in various joint committees with other local authorities. Until 1948 they also administered poor relief. District councils were abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c. 65). It should be noted that their powers differed from those of the district councils which existed from 1975 to 1996

Share

Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject

Objects associated with this person