Bo'ness & Carriden District Council
District Councils were established following the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929. They were set up by the relevant County Council and although they were separate legal entities, the membership was made up of all the county councillors for the electoral divisions in the district along with a few separately elected members. They inherited all the responsibilities of the parish councils which were abolished. They also undertook work as agents for the County Council and were involved in various joint committees with other local authorities.