Smith & Wellstood Ltd
Smith & Wellstood had its origins in a retail hardware business in Glasgow in 1854. James Smith and Stephen Wellstood became partners in 1858. In 1855 James Smith contracted George Ure, managing partner of Crosthwaite, Ure & Co of Camelon, to produce stoves. In 1860 George Ure opened his own foundry, the Columbian Stove Works, at Bonnybridge. Smith and Wellstood opened their own foundry in 1873 and amalgamated with George Ure & Co in 1890, taking over Columbian Stove Works in that year. In 1947 after the death of the managing director, George Ure, the business changed hands. In 1949 Smith & Wellstood was registered as a limited company. In 1950 a new foundry was established in Johannesburg, which was sold in 1971 to a South African company. In 1973 Smith & Wellstood Ltd were taken over by the Kent based Dint Engineering Group and in 1978 this became part of the Newman Industries Ltd Group. The company went into receivership in 1984. The Ouzledale Foundry Co Ltd bought out the foundry and established the new company of Smith & Wellstood (1984) Ltd.