Person

Name
Falkirk Burgh Commissioners and Police Commissioners
Biography
Commissioners under Falkirk Police & Improvement Act, 1859 In 1859 Falkirk adopted the Police of Towns (Scotland) Act 1850 (13 & 14 Vict., c.33). The means of doing so was a local act of parliament, the Falkirk Police and Improvement Act 1859 (22 & 23 Vict., ch.cxxiii). Under this the police commissioners were to be the Town Council, and obtained authority to take over the water, sanitation, street cleansing, public works and improvements, and various other powers previously held by the Stentmasters or Feuars including the raising of assessments to pay for works in the town. This Act sought to clarify what authority was responsible for which function in the town. In 1873 Falkirk adopted the 1862 General Police and Improvement (Scotland) Act (25 & 26 Vict, c 101) which gave additional powers in lighting, cleansing, improvements and police matters. The Falkirk Corporation Act 1890 (53 & 54 Vict., ch.xiv) confirmed the powers of the Town Council as police commissioners, transferred all of the Feuars' remaining powers and property to Falkirk Town Council, and extended the municipal and police boundaries. The Town Councils (Scotland) Act 1900 (63 & 64 Vict., c.49) provided for the incorporation of burghs and was adopted by Falkirk in 1900, leading to any responsibilities held by the Burgh or Police Commissioners being passed to the Town Council.

Share

Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject