Camelon Iron Co

Founded in 1845 as Crosswaite, Miller and Co at Lock 16. In 1854 the first partnership was dissolved and the works sold to Mr Smith. In 1870 Mr Smith opened a new foundry at called Kilns Iron works on the south side of the Forth & Clyde Canal at Kilns Place near Lock 9 in Falkirk. This new foundry started off producing pipes but in 1873 the entire plant from the Lock 16 foundry was transferred there too. The company then became known as Camelon Iron Co. The foundry at Lock 16 was sold to Walker, Turnbull & Co and became Portdownie Ironworks.
In 1935 the company became part of Federated Foundries Ltd along with Grangemouth Iron Company (Grange Iron Works, Camelon), Watson, Gow Co (Etna Iron Works) and Burnbank Foundry Co. The premises at Kilns Place were closed in or before 1954 and Camelon Iron Works was merged with Grangemouth Iron Company. The new company was known as Grange-Camelon Iron Co.
Camelon Iron Co was incorporated in 1890 with the registration number SC002035, and was dissolved in 1954. [GB234/BT2/2035]


Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject

Objects associated with this person