Person

Name
Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd
Biography
Grangemouth Dockyard Co was established in 1885 by William Miller and Samuel Pophouse Jackson. The company started with a shipbuilding yard in Grangemouth and in 1888 acquired two yards in Alloa and Ardrossan. In 1900 a yard was acquired in Greenock and the company re-named the Grangemouth and Greenock Dockyard Co. In 1918 the Greenock yard was sold to Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd and the company reverted to the name Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd.

In 1967 it became part of the Swan Hunter Group and then became a British Shipbuilders subsidiary after
nationalisation in 1977. In November 1983 British Shipbuilders announced the closure of Grangemouth Dockyard after completion of the last contract, which was the Forth Ports Authority tug, Oxcar [source: Scotsman 5 Nov 1983]. However, it reverted to being a private company in 1984 and in 1987 it went into liquidation. From 1885-1972 the company built ships. In 1972 it stopped building ships and concentrated entirely on repairs.

The Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd was incorporated in 1907 with the registration number SC6595. [Ref: GB234/BT2/6595]. Its name was changed to Grangemouth Dockyard Ltd and it was dissolved under that name in 1989 [Ref: GB234/BT2/1989/6595]

The Greenock Dockyard Co Ltd was incorporated in 1919 and dissolved in 1970. [Ref: GB234/BT2//1970/14]

Share

Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject

Objects associated with this person