Stirling County Council. Eastern No 3 District Council

Biography
Eastern No 3 District Council covered the areas of Slamannan and Muiravonside Parish Councils.
District Councils were established following the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929. They were set up by the relevant County Council and although they were separate legal entities, the membership was made up of all the county councillors for the electoral divisions in the district along with a few separately elected members. They inherited many of the responsibilities of the parish councils which were abolished. They also undertook work as agents for the County Council and were involved in various joint committees with other local authorities. Until 1948 they also administered poor relief. District councils were abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c. 65).
It should be noted that their powers differed from those of the district councils which existed from 1975 to 1996.
Eastern No 3 District included the villages of Avonbridge, Limerigg, Maddiston, Rumford, Standburn, Slamannan, and Whitecross. The District Clerk, James Waddell was based in Brightons and was also the Clerk for Eastern No 2.

Eastern No 3 District Council covered the areas of Slamannan and Muiravonside Parish Councils. District Councils were established following the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1929. They were set up by the relevant County Council and although they were separate legal entities, the membership was made up of all the county councillors for the electoral divisions in the district along with a few separately elected members. They inherited many of the responsibilities of the parish councils which were abolished. They also undertook work as agents for the County Council and were involved in various joint committees with other local authorities. Until 1948 they also administered poor relief. District councils were abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act, 1973 (c. 65). It should be noted that their powers differed from those of the district councils which existed from 1975 to 1996. Eastern No 3 District included the villages of Avonbridge, Limerigg, Maddiston, Rumford, Standburn, Slamannan, and Whitecross. The District Clerk, James Waddell was based in Brightons and was also the Clerk for Eastern No 2.

Share

Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject

Objects associated with this person