Person

Name
John Wilson
Biography
John Wilson was a Coalmaster and held extensive properties. He was a client of Russel & Aitken The coal mining business was set up by Robert Wilson (1789-1836) who had mines at South Bantaskine and Callendar Estate, as well as a store at Banton and various property enterprises. His younger son, John, inherited South Bantaskine and erected South Bantaskine House in 1860. John was an Honorary Sheriff Substitute for Stirlingshire & Dunbartonshire, a JP and an elder on Falkirk Relief Church (later Falkirk West Church). The elder son, William Wilson, had the colliery at Banknock. John Wilson married Mary Russel, the daughter of James Russel (of Russel & Aitken) in 1848. Their children were Catherine Wilson Hamilton (wife of David James Hamilton, Professor of Pathological Anatomy, Aberdeen), Margaret Henderson Wilson Gilton (wife of Rev James Gilton), Jane Russel Wilson, Mary Georgina Wade Wilson (Artist), Bessie Hardie Wilson, Wilhelmina Wilson Cadenhead (wife of James Cadenhead), Helen Wilson and Johanna Octaria Wilson. [Source: Calatria Vol 6, pp 61-76]

Share

Objects made by this person

Objects with this person as a subject