Refine Results
Sort Descending
More Options

15731 results. Displaying results 121 - 160.

Name Biography
John Aitken
Dr John Aitken LID; FRS; FRSE (1839-1919) of Ardenlea, Falkirk was a Climatologist. He was awarded the royal medal by the Royal Society of London, in 1917. He did his experiments mostly on equipment he made and designed himself, in the laboratory in his home. He conducted experiments on the condensation of atmospheric water vapour, and discovered microscopic particles, which are now named Aitken nuclei. Work published in the journals of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. According to a letter from the Science Museum asking about him, he was a fellow of the Royal Society, corresponded with Lord Kelvin on scientific matters, and was published in Nature.
Henry Aitken of Darroch (jnr)
Henry Aitken jnr was one of eight children of Henry Aitken of Darroch and Margaret Russel. He continued his father's mining interests and was described as coalmaster on his death registration.
James Aitken of Darroch
James Aitken of Darroch, (1834-1911) writer and solicitor in Falkirk, was one of eight children of Henry Aitken of Darroch and the grandson of James Aitken of the firm of solicitors in Falkirk. He succeeded his father, Henry as proprietor of Darroch and as a partner in Russel & Aitken from 1862-1911. He also took over his father’s interests in mining and properties. His main leisure interest was shooting and one of his habits was to apply for particulars of shootings and estates to let all over Scotland. He was a Lieutenant in the Falkirk Company of the Stirlingshire Volunteer Rifle Corps. He also belonged to Stirling Golf club and East Stirlingshire Cricket Club.
Aitken Family
Various members of the Aitken family were partners in Russel & Aitken and other family members were clients of the firm. The known family history starts with William Aitken a tenant in Calham (Callium), who married Elizabeth Blucle. Their son, Henry married Elizabeth Scrimgeour and it was their son, James who founded what became Russel & Aitken.

James Aitken, (c.1778-1818) a writer and practising solicitor in Falkirk from at least 1792 was the son of Henry Aitken and Elizabeth Scrimgeour. He married Janet Walker (d. 8 Aug 1841) and with her had three children: Henry Aitken, James Walker Aitken (d aged 24) and Robert Walker Aitken. After James Aitken’s death in 1818. James Russel, his apprentice, took over the business. He was shortly joined in partnership by Henry Aitken of Darroch (c 1800-1860), and the business thereafter became known as Russel & Aitken.

Henry Aitken of Darroch also had interests in mining and property. He married Margaret Russel, (d. 1860) daughter of his partner, James Russel, and with her had eight children : James (the sole partner of R & A for many years) Russel, Henry, John (a climatologist), Robert, Jessie, Catherine (d. 15 Jan 1838 aged 18 months) and Walker (a Major in the army).

James Aitken of Darroch, (b 1834) writer and solicitor in Falkirk, was the son of Henry Aitken of Darroch and the grandson of James Aitken of the firm of solicitors in Falkirk. He succeeded his father, Henry as proprietor of Darroch and as a partner in Russel & Aitken from 1862-1911. He was a wealthy man by succession and by his own endeavours in the law and as a mineral proprietor and farmer. His main leisure interest was shooting and one of his habits was to apply for particulars of shootings and estates to let all over Scotland. He was a Lieutenant in the Falkirk Company of the Stirlingshire Volunteer Rifle Corps. He also belonged to Stirling Golf club and East Stirlingshire Cricket Club.

Dr John Aitken LID; FRS; FRSE (1839-1919) of Ardenlea, Falkirk was a Climatologist. He was awarded the royal medal by the Royal Society of London, in 1917.

Jessie Aitken of Glenbervie was one of the eight children of Henry and Margaret Aitken of Darroch.. A Curator was appointed for her in 1922 and she died in 1923 aged 80.

This family consists of the parents - Henry Aitken & Margaret Russel and their children: James, Russel, Henry, Dr. John,Robert, Major Walker,Jessie and Catherine Aitken. Catherine died in 1838 aged 18 months.
Allan Meek
Central Scotland Police
Formed in 1975 on abolition of Stirling and Clackmannan Police Force (successor of Stirlingshire Constabulary)
Larbert Parish & Carron District Nursing Association
Larbert Parish Nursing Association was set up in 1894 in conjunction with the Queen Victoria Jubilee Institute for Nursing, to employ a district nurse for the sick poor of Larbert parish. The name was changed to Larbert Parish & Carron District Nursing Association in 1919 when Carron District was set up and a second district nurse employed, following a bequest from Miss Dawson’s Trust. In 1950. following the establishment of the National Health Service, the Association developed a Cy pres scheme to wind up the association and make the funds available for for the benefit of “sick, infirm, crippled and old people, mothers, expectant mothers and children in the Parish of Larbert and Carron District”
R Tannock
McDougall, Angus
Three addresses were used under this name, c.1956.
Sinclair & Co Ltd
The firm of Sinclair & Company Limited, was established in 1892, by James T. Sinclair and from 1939 to 1961 was carried on by his son, James M.C. Sinclair, and after 1961 by Mrs. J.M.C. Sinclair. At its inception, the firm concentrated on making herring barrels from Swedish fir and spruce wood, and combined this type of work with similar casks for holding chemical products. This was followed in later years by casks and kegs for the vinegar and cider industry, these being made from American oak wood. After the Second World War the firm was engaged solely in the whisky trade, making and repairing whisky hogsheads, dumps and American barrels. In the mid 1960s a suction plant and modern machinery was installed in the sawmill and new sheds erected, capable of holding thousands of barrels. By this date the firm supplied distilleries all over Scotland and was the only one of its kind in Central Scotland.
Andrew Liddle
J Howdle
Grangemouth : Grange School
Grange Public School, Grangemouth, opened in 1894 and in 1901 became Grange Higher Grade Public School. In 1909 it became a girls' primary school. . It became Grange Junior Secondary c 1948. The secondary department was closed in 1958 and it became Grange Primary School. ( The secondary pupils were probably transferred to Moray Junior Secondary School, opened in 1958)
Joseph Collier Brown
Joseph Collier Brown was a professional photographer who set up a studio in Vicar St, Falkirk.
He was the son of Robert Brown photographer, Aberdeen and brother of Andrew Brown, photographer of Aberdeen and Falkirk. He married Elizabeth Smith about 1902 and had children, Nicola H Brown and Robert Collier Brown, (c 1898-1964, photographer who carried on his father's business). S In 1881 Census, was still living with parents at 6 West High St, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire. (Source GROS)
Hay, James & Son
Business on west corner of Penders Lane and West Bridge Street. Bought business directly from Roberts family. See Roberts, William
Turnbull, George & Co Ltd
Glynwed Ltd
Glynwed Foundries has its registered office in Birmingham. Glynwed Foundries was incorporated in 1961 with the registration number 0068751. In 1969 Allied Ironfounders was merged with Glynwed Ltd. The subsequent re-organisation resulted in the formation of Glynwed Foundries Ltd which took in all the foundry works except for baths, which formed Glynwed Baths Ltd. in 2001 sold of their pipes division to Extec and rebranded themselves Aga Foodservice Ltd.
Vogue Bathrooms Ltd
Airth Parish Church
There has been a church in Airth since at least 1128. The church was appropriated to Holyrood Abbey by David I. The post-reformation church was a quoad omnia parish. Airth Parish Church remained in the Church of Scotland in 1843. In 1929 it was re-named Airth North Church to distinguish it from the former United Free Church (Airth South) but reverted to the name Airth Parish Church after Airth South was closed on 1 January 1956.

The Church of Scotland kirk session for Airth sat in the presbytery of Stirling until 1929. It then sat within the presbytery of Linlithgow and Falkirk and from 1976 in the presbytery of Falkirk.

The old Parish Church building near Airth Castle which is now in ruins was used from the late 12th century until 1820 when it was abandoned in favour of the North Church building, built to replace the old parish church by William Stirling of Dunblane.
Nobels Explosives Co
Nobel Explosives Co (later Nobel Industries Ltd) operated an explosives factory at Westquarter where detonators were made for the explosive devices made by Nobel's in Ayrshire. The company merged with Brunner, Mond & Company Ltd, British Dyestuffs Corporation Ltd, and United Alkali Company Ltd to form ICI (Imperial Chemical Industries) in 1926
Loading...