Sites and Monument Record: Grange Iron Works (SMR 702)
Site history notes
Grangemouth Iron Co founded in 1883 by James McGrouther and Peter Muirhead. McGrouther was the manager. The first casting occurred in August 1883. The original site was at Grangemouth Docks near the dock gate, and beside the Grange Burn. "Entering at the east gate the first building to the right is the pattern sahop and foreman's office on the lower flat, while the upper flat is occupied as the pattern store. Following the railway into the works beyond the pattern shop, it is seen that the rails skirt the boundary wall on the south side, and terminate at the sand and blacking houses. The coke shed and pig-iron yard are also on the edge of the railway, so that all raw material coming into the works only requires to be tipped over the edge of the waggons. The cupola is supplied with blast conveyed in pipes from a No 4 Root's Blower (1883 patent). The pig-iron and coke for the cupola are raised from the ground level by a hoist capable of lifting a ton. The moulding shop is quite close to the cupola and appears to be well lighted and ventilated. The proprietors have made every arrangement for extension of moulding space, so that even were the present area extended three times more, the workmen would still have the advantage of the cupola as their centre, thereby saving a deal of manual lablour in carrying the molten iron. Between the moulding shop and warehouses are situated the dressing and fitting shops, the former have rimbler and emery wheels for fettling and dressing castings, while the latter shop contains smiths' fire driven by small fans, ---- machines, emery wheels, grindstones & c, all the machinery being driven by power supplied from Messrs Dow & Co's saw mill adjoining. The last building on the way out to the warehouse, having a platform (level with the waggons) from which the goods will be despatched by rail. Immediately to the back of the warehouse are the offices and gatekeeper's house, communication with offices and warehouse being established by means of a speaking tube." FH 1883. The site was required for the dock extension and in 1900 the firm moved to Camelon. In 1906 it was purchased by Sir Frederick Mcleod. He also took over Watson Gow & Co Ltd in Etna Rd in 1929 and concentrated the work in Camelon. In 1935 both companies were incorporated into Federated Foundries and later absorbed into Allied Ironfounders. The works closed in the 1960s and the remainder of the workforce moved to Larbert.
Site conservation date
Site grid ref
NS 868 807
Be the first to comment on this object record.